Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bedtime Story

I am slowly trying out all the Oliver + S patterns. I have them all, plus in all sizes with the exception of one or two but I haven't made every single one just yet.

This one is Bedtime Story p.j.'s.  I lengthened the top to make it into a housecoat.

This nubbly fabric is a pretty yellow cotton that's been in my stash for at least five years and it's perfect for a little housecoat.

I had intended to make some blue jammies to match the tie but I've run out of time and my sewing room has to to switched back to a bedroom for the holidays.

This is size 3.  It took all of 1/2 hour to put it together after it was cut out.  Talk about easy and quick which begs the question ... why I didn't make it sooner.

Thursday, December 13, 2012


I really like the Children's Corner pattern Adelaide.  I've made it several times before with good results.
However my model would only pose if she could make silly faces.

The collar and cuff is black velvet and trimmed with black lace.  It looks a little Goth to me paired with the dark purple and black check in the fabric.

The fabric is a poly blend so it doesn't hold the knife pleats all that well. It's also got a bad case of static cling as can be seen at the armscye.

I found these interesting buttons in my stash.

This is size 4.

Notes to self:
  1. for front pleats don't bother basting, just stitch 2.0
  2. slip a little stabilizer in the buttonhole section of the placket.
  3. make a hem facing
  4. if using larger buttons than 12mm, make an extension on the button section reinforcing with stabilizer
  5. refer to this video for the back inverted placket from Children's Corner.
  6. only use fabric that will hold knife pleats sharply