Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Burda 9727

Some time ago, a sewing friend Nicole who lives in Australia, sent me this pattern. She knew I was looking for a child's dress coat.... a frock coat as she calls it ... and thought that this pattern might be one  of interest.

Before I discuss the pattern, I want to point out that when it arrived I noticed the pattern front and back were plasticized!

Now, I knew Nicole was a perfectionist particularly when it comes to sewing and especially finishing a sewing project but plasticizing a pattern is, well, it's just plain over the top.
I would be completely mortified if she ever saw my sewing pattern stash. Needless to say, Nicole has shamed me into tidying up my sewing stash.

Onto the pattern........

I used some discounted plum coloured cashmere ($5.00/meter) and lined it with grey kasha lining. It was a test run.

The pattern was straightforward as per usual Burda patterns. I made size 5 and fit's perfectly.

However, if I put in a thicker lining like maybe something quilted, the coat would be too small.

The pattern called for contrasting pocket flaps and collar but since this was a test run, I just used the same fabric.  Oh, and I squared off the pocket flaps... just because.

The back has a sweet little belt tab and that too should have been in a contrast fabric.

Moving on to the lining, I found the Kasha worked out just fine.  However I really got stuck on how the lining went together at the hem.

So I put it together the way I thought it should go but it didn't look like Tidy Heidi was a work, as Nicole might suggest.

Miss C. likes the coat and looks like a perfect little lady.

We just need to work on "don't wipe your nose on the sleeve" part.

Thank you Nicole for sending me this pattern. It worked out perfectly!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Christmas sewing.

I was down in the Big Smoke today, although given the political circus going on down there I suspect the term 'Big Smoke' takes on a whole new meaning. Poor dear Toronto, the city where I was born and raised, is being disgraced.

Well anyway, Miss C was able to try on Christmas outfits I've made for her thus far and had a photo shoot. She is a perfectly wonderful co-operative model.

Here's how it went........

First up is the Fairytale Dress (Oliver + S).  Size 5.

I smocked the front panel using a simple 2 step wave stitch on 16 rows using DMC 989.  The bodice is lined but not the skirt.

Therefore I made a crinoline using tulle and cotton but Miss C and her mom didn't like how the dress "stuck out". So no crinoline for this dress.
For the back I made a sash but because I didn't have enough fabric, the sash isn't as wide as I would have liked it.  Just the same, it works just fine.

Regardless how warm the inside of one's home is during the winter months here in the Great White North, I still felt this short sleeved dress needed a sweater. So I made this bolero style sweater using an off white knit.
I used the Field Trip (Oliver + S) raglan sleeve t-shirt pattern and cut the front piece into a bolero style. 

Using my new handy dandy coverstitch machine I put on the bias trim. Easy!

Miss C loves her new dress and sweater and I'm happy how it looks on her.

The next item up was this kelly green corduroy Music Box Jumper (Oliver + S).
I used two different snowflake buttons on the tabs (because no 2 snowflakes are the same) that can be taken off and changed to another style of button at a later date.

Lots of buttons up the back.

Lastly, I had a wee scrap of red corduroy and made a little skirt.  I found some iron-on snowflake shapes to put around the hem.

And here's our model taking a bow. She was, and always is, co-operative when taking photos.  It's just finding the time to drive down to the city when she's available that's difficult.

I also made some kelly green corduroy Sand Box Pants (Oliver + S) for Mr. A, but he was napping.
So photos for that will have to wait for the next trip down to the Big Smoke.