I feel I must catch up for all the years of not knitting. I think my dear sewing machines are collecting cobwebs.
I've been scouring the internet for free knitting patterns, buying yarn that's on sale and in general, creating a new stash to bust.
Life doesn't get any better.
Here are my latest projects.
First off is a free download pattern called Daisy Chain by Amanda Lilley. It's available on Ravelry.
I used 2 skeins of Patons Canadiana yarn and size 4 mm circular needles.
The pattern was easy to follow until it came to picking up stitches to do the edging. I was totally stumped as I had never done anything like this before. Do I use the left needle? Do I use the right one? Do I double back and turn everything inside out?
Well, it turned out that the left needle is used, sliding the stitches back on the needles (and wire) then pick up the stitches placing markers where they are called for in the pattern and then follow the instructions. I guess I was over-thinking the process.
It turned out just fine but the bottom edges need a little extra blocking.
The embroidery was easy to do. I used a fabric marker to make the vine line but in hindsight I should have simply basted a thread making the line to follow much more visible.
I wonder if a little bling might be fun to use for say a Christmas cardigan?
The second project I completed was a vest. I bought this pattern on Ravelry. It's called #256 Basic Vest for Children by Diane Soucy.
I used 1 skein of Paton's Canadiana. This pattern worked up really quickly and the instructions were easy to follow.
The neck band is different than on most V-neck vests I've seen and was a no-brainer to make.
Instead of using DPN's for the neck band and sleeve bands, I used 3.75 circular needles. Better than stabbing oneself!
A new trick I learned from this project was how to do a 3 needle bind off on the shoulders. Gah! I'm going to use that technique from now on.
I am pleased with the outcome of this project and Mr. A can expect many, many more vest's.
Off to knit some more…………...