In the Sept/Oct. 2003 issue of Sew Beautiful, I saw this project called "An Updated Classic" by Kris Curtis.
I particularly liked the high yoke version worn by the younger girl in the photo, the pattern being inspired by 1950's style dresses.
The cut out pages have been sitting in my stash bucket of 'to-do patterns' and today, became my 'to do' day for this project.
Actually, I cut it out and smocked it yesterday, but today was construction day. It turned out well and I found the pattern really easy to follow.
I managed to foul up the collar though, and I don't know what I did wrong. However, with a little unpicking and swearing to myself, I made it work.
I was not sure about the instructions for the smocking though. The designer said to base the smocking on multiples of 8 pleats to get the design centered between the points. I couldn't make that work. So if Kris Curtis ever reads this blog, maybe she could enlighten me because I simply couldn't figure it out. Just the same, I managed to make it reasonably balanced and centered.
Here's the front a little closer. I whipped some matching floss on the piping and added lace as well. Perhaps that's where I went wrong with the collar prior to the unpicking and swearing episode.
I added some embroidery flowers on the front, just as in the photo in the magazine.
Here are all the pages in the magazine article, minus the pattern that was also included.
Here's where I got confused with the multiples of 8 pleats instructions.
Here's another method to construct the front that allows the smocker to simply do the whole row omitting the multiples of 8 pleats counting.
It was this picture that grabbed my attention in the beginning. I just love the look of that little blue dress.
Here is my version again. Size 12 months.
Oh, and I put the remaining bit of lace that matches the collar on the double hem.Half of the peach fabric is used up, all of this style of lace, almost all of the white mini-piping, most of the peach thread and I finally got to make up this pattern.