I've been thinking for some time that I'd like to make an Easter coat for Caitlin.
I dug out Style 2439 that is no longer in print. It's a size 18 months.
Digging through my stash for a warm fabric, I found some Doctors flannel that was part of project for a class I took with Gail Doan. The project was a child's jacket in size 4 as seen in her book Sew Cute Couture.
But I can't wait for Caitlin to be a size 4. Luckily there was enough of the fabric to cut out the pattern.
I wanted the coat to have a Vintage 50's theme. I traced this bunny on to tissue paper, tacked the tissue paper to the outside of the coat and stitched with 3 strands of embroidery floss, following the design using a split stitch.
I made up the flowers myself. With embroidery, just about anything works.
Then I put a little embroidery on the collar and piped the collar using a mini piping. The collar looks uneven in this photo, but in real life it does look even and sits flatter than it does on the hanger.
I got carried away and stitched some embroidered flowers on the back.
For a few days, I had been tossing around the idea of making bound buttonholes on the jacket. I have never done them before as I've been fearful I couldn't do them. But they turned out to be rather easy to do! Go figure.
I followed instructions that looked similar to these.
I found 3 vintage buttons that belonged to a jacket that was mine when I was a little girl.
For the lining, I used this bunny fabric that I bought maybe 12 0r 15 years ago!
I matched the colour floss to the lining.
I am pleased with the results. However, I serged the armhole and it's not sitting right. I won't do that again.
Now to make a matching bonnet!