At least 8 years ago, I pleated and smocked the front section for a dress that I got the idea from in either Sew Beautiful, Creative Needle or AS&E. It was so long ago, I just can't recall.
When my daughter suggested a smocked Christmas dress size 3, for Caitlin I jumped into action, rooted through the UFO box and pulled out the smocked front section and uncut plaid cotton fabric and velvet for the collar and cuff.
Using a basic bodice style pattern, using size 3, here's the completed dress.
It's windy outside so it looks a little askew.
I even had the foresight back then to include in the UFO bag the tiny little black buttons that appeared on the dress in the magazine.
I piped the velvet collar in the same plaid fabric, but used black cotton to pipe the smocked section to the front yoke.
While out shopping I came across these dear little black velvet ballet style shoes in size 7 and made 2 little bows using the plaid fabric. They are just stitched in place over top of the existing bow. They can be removed easily.
Cutting out the back bodice section required at little fussy cutting to match the plaid as did cutting the back skirt section so the the sides matched.
The sleeves match the front section and that was truly a fluke! I had cut them out before realizing they needed to match but thought, oh what the heck, it'll be fine if they don't. Go figure!
The tucked hem was a snap because I could follow the plaid lines with the iron to get the fold exact.
I am really pleased with the outcome and think my daughter and granddaughter will be too.