While I've made this pattern before as a sort of test run, it's taken me a whole year to make it using the fabric I bought on sale.
For the lining I used a product called Kasha. It's a flannel backed satin that quite thick but not too heavy.
Like all Oliver + S patterns it was easy to make because of the detailed instructions and the outcome was professional looking.
Although it would look a little more professional with a touch up on the sleeve with an iron!
Right now it's -20C and I don't think this wool jacket even with the flannel backed lining would be warm enough. When the weather gets warmer and hovers around 0oC, then this jacket will be a welcome change from a down filled snowsuit.
Like the jacket I made before, I used toggle closures.
On the previous jacket I made the cording longer so the front placket sat flat. By doing so, the toggles kept coming undone.
This time around I cut the toggle cords the length called for in the pattern and while the front placket buckles a little bit, they don't come undone.
I finished the sleeve hem differently from the pattern instructions.
On the outside, I turned up the sleeve hem and the lining hem (as it would look when finished) and put in one pin to hold it in place.
Then I put my hand up between the lining and the outside of the jacket and pulled the sleeve through.....
...and with the sleeve inside out and finding the pin, repinned the hem so that right sides were facing each other.
I was able to stitch all the way around the sleeve hem....
....and that gave it a nice finish.
Turning the Oliver + S book 'Little Things To Sew', I made some mittens to go with the jacket.
I added 1 inch to the mitten hem and using scraps of melton wool, made an Inuskuk design on the front.
An Inukshuk is usually made of stones or boulders in the Arctic to point the way for hunters or travellers to keep them from getting lost.
My Inukshuk mitts are pointing the way too in the deep snow.
I am pleased with the outcome of this jacket. It's size 5.