Friday, December 17, 2010

Book & Toys

A neighbour is an artist and she has illustrated a children's book called The Perfect Bear.  I bought a copy and of course had her sign it.  It's a Christmas gift for Caitlin.

ISBN 978-0-9810609-1-0

Then I got idea to make some of the toys found in the book.  A sock monkey, a giraffe,  whale, Raggedy Ann and a bear.


I found a sock monkey already made at a toy store along with a bear that looked similar to the bear featured in the book.



I've run out of time to make a giraffe and a whale, but I did manage to make a Raggedy Ann doll.  But I ran out of stuffing so this doll looks a little wrinkled, much like her maker!

McCalls 8077

I tried to match the doll to the one in the book. 


To see more of this charming little book, go to  Yellow Toadstool Press then click on the book cover and download the sample text and illustrations.

This is what the illustrators studio looks like.  It's a Fairy Castle in the woods.

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed reading this post. I'm especially charmed that you will be gifting the dolls along with the book; what a terrific way to make a book come alive! I'm smitten by the Raggedy Ann doll! She'll have it to pass down again and again. So sweet! I think we could all create beautiful things in a studio like that! Don't you?!

    ReplyDelete