Despite having just about every sewing tool, several sewing machines and a huge stash, neither of my daughters have ever been interested in sewing.
So it was music to my ears when my eldest whom, after several years of wedded bliss, asked me to show her how to smock. (I just knew a grandbaby might be forthcoming.)
I pleated up some cheap poly/cotton and she selected the smocking plate 'Amanda' by Little Stitches and away she went!
Unfortunately, she never finished the project and it ended up in my UFO box where it's been parked for the last 2 years.
I dug it out yesterday and finished the dress for her. Thank goodness I did because her baby is almost a year old and this dress is 6 months size. I stretched and blocked the front as best as I could and took only 1/4 inch seam allowances hoping to make this dress somewhat larger.
Here's her first attempt at smocking. I think she did a good job, especially with the bullions as they can be quite intimidating.
I made sure there was a big sash bow on the back just like I used to put on her smocked dresses. (The wind is blowing the collar upwards. And yes that's snow in the background that just won't melt.)
So I think Sarah will be surprised to see her first attempt at smocking finished and looking so pretty.