Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Another one bites the dust.

I started this picture smocking project sometime around 2002 or 2003. I got the design plate from an issue of Sew Beautiful that I cannot find in my messy sewing room at the moment.

When I completed this front panel, I put on some bias binding but did an awful job. I tossed it into the UFO box, probably planning to re-visit the project and get the binding on correctly.

Well, yesterday I did re-visit it and after unpicking and re-stitching several times, in the end it was still an awful job!

I put the dress together in spite of the puckering and crunched pleats.

Oh what the heck. When grandbaby wears it, I doubt those around her will notice. It's 12 month size.

I found some pretty little daffodil buttons. Unfortunately, I couldn't find thread to match the dress exactly. I figured I had made enough errors, I might just stay on the same track.

I liked smocking this design plate. I just love daffodils. They are just about the only plant around here that the deer won't eat.

The UFO box is getting empty!


  1. I don't think it is awful at all. I think it is perfect for spring and will be a wonderful framework for the beautiful toddler wearing it. A trick I learned from Debbie Glenn was to block my insert making sure the pleats are the way I like them, then run a bead of basting glue along the top and bottom just outside the seam line. The pleats will stand up nice while I apply my piping. Hope that helps.

    I love your spring daffodils.

  2. There is nothing awful about this! It is precious.

  3. This is beautiful, not awful! It must be so tiny to be a size 12 months. I wish we could see photos of your grandbaby modeling the dress. Lovely!