Friday, February 18, 2011

Ice Cream Dress

I cut out two Ice Cream Dress patterns and was able to whip one up yesterday.  The colours are a brighter than in real life and I think that's because of the snow glare. The pink in the hem and bodice isn't quite as intense as seen here.

So here's the deal with the Ice Cream Dress.... it's drop dead easy.  I was fretting about attaching the back yoke, but with a simple snip of the main dress fabric, it was easy to attach the two together.


Get out your Ray Bans.
I managed to match the pocket pattern with the main dress pattern reasonably well too.  Not crazy about the topstitching though.  As I mentioned before, my machine has topstitching thread issues pulling the thread down into the feed dogs and therefore needs to go to the repair shop.  But the repair shop guy is a long drive away in Parry Sound on the shores of beautiful Georgian Bay, hard by Lake Huron. On the next good weather travel day, perhaps I'll make the trek.

My machine needs to go to the vet.

This dress was inspired by a dress in a 1925 magazine.  As good luck would have it, I've got the second dress cut out in repro vintage fabric, so it ought to look good.


 The next test is if it fits and is liked.  If so, I'll make a load of these dresses because they are so quick and easy to make plus I can bust a whole lot of my stash.

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about that last post. And I think you've found your answer. Pair these Ice Cream Dresses with coordinating leggings, and you have comfortable, chic outfits that can move from spring to summer to fall. They'll be comparable to the track outfits in function only with more style. You could also easily convert it into a swing top to pair with pants or shorts. I'm excited for you and your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I'll be getting this pattern! It seems so versatile!

    ReplyDelete